Sunday, November 30, 2008

The worse kind of addiction - TV Addiction

I admit it - I am a TV Addict. Name any channel - movies, soaps (logical one's like Balika Vadhu), news, business news, world news etc. I watch it all. I spend so many hours in front of the TV. I cut my vegetables in front of the TV if I can!! I keep the TV on while I do my cleaning. Kind of tell myself that "Hey, I am not alone, I have company". Worse of all, all my time and energy goes into the TV and I have found myself out of touch at social level, work level, my personal reading time and writing time all zapped by the idiot box which I find not idiotic at all... (Sigh!)
I do remember that once on the way to Burhanpur with my aunt, there was a sage (sadhu) wearing saffron clothes and he was the friendly kind who talked to everyone in the compartment. He talked on politics and why he would not lecture (give gyaan) on TV like other rishi munis because he does not believe in the concept that one can find peace and understanding drinking tea and listening to a sadhu. Yes, I did agree with him. After all spiritually demands as much singular attention as a maths problem. He also said one statement that still remains with me after four years "The worse kind of addiction is not alcohol, or cigarettes or drugs, it's the TV"
Truly, those like me will agree that the TV does steal away your time. I mean what not can we achieve by not watching TV.
One hour of Grey's anatomy - Cook up a great desert that will make your husband happy!!
Two hours of Balika vadhu(2to4) - Read at least 4 chapters on world history that will broaden your perspective and make you 'generally aware'
Too many hours of news - Write up your perspective of what is happening in this world and coming up with ideas that will help solve this challenges
A three hour movie- Go out, check out the fabulous discounts available - you never know when you can get something at a great price!
Ten minutes ad's - Call up a friend or relative and make your relationship warmer
Hmmm, Yes, there are certainly a lot of things one can do (not forgetting working, doing social work, exercising, walking) instead of spending endless hours in front of the TV and becoming an idiot.
Therefore, I am going to make a plan for myself. I am going to restrict my hours to watch only the news and of course one logical well done soap whose concept I like a lot - Balika Vadhu - which is half an hour de-stress time for me and only one hour of news. No more 'scoops' and 'breaking news' every other minute for me.
Here I go....

2 comments:

Moc said...

"This instrument can teach, it can illuminate; yes, and it can even inspire. But it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to use it to those ends. Otherwise it is merely wires and lights in a box."
Ed Murrow

Blogger said...

Mustafa - Very true! (what a quote) At least I make some of those recipes I see on TV ...lol :)