Wednesday, October 10, 2007

5th term

5Th Term MBA has begun and I am lost. Lost because both the finance classes have been combined into one class of 100 students. Out of which hardly 50 attend. Some have taken up placements and moved on to the career phase of life and others have no inclination - for whatever reason. That makes me one of the very few students who is still interested in completing her studies. The atmosphere in the last semesters of any education programme (be it BCA or MBA) is that of 'take-it-for-granted'. It surprises me at the level of post graduation where one has invested so much not only financially but also mentally, the students become careless at the last moment.
If I were to draw a student graph, at the moment I am going into a slump. When we began MBA everyone was so excited, enthusiastic and eager to learn. As time went, all the three came down and now it's like everyone just wants to move on to the next stage even though there is 8 more months to formally wind up the programme. Its similar to the analogy of a relationship or a new job. One is excited during the first few months, everything is new and exciting but once you fall into the system, then it becomes monotonous, boring.
One studies so much that the cycle repeats itself at the beginning of every trimester so we know the pattern. The struggle to understand, the reading needed, the presentations, the assignments, the tests and finally the month-long exams. It's fixed, predictable.
What can one do to make it more exciting? Especially when you are a one-man army trying to maintain the zeal (that you don't feel) and want to make the most use of your academic years. Therefore, I have come up with a few heuristics to follow in my 5Th term
1. Read, Read and Read
2. Don't rely too much on classes
3. Drown out the noise of disinterested students and focus on the lecturer
4. Be positive
5. Start practicing aptitude and logic
6. This time take part in organising events, seminars and become active on the co-curricular front
7. Don't get distracted by the companies coming to campus - the salary, the profile might tempt but most important goal is to learn.
I suppose since I have the industry experience I am not so eager as my colleagues to get back so fast. The freshers are dying to start working and earn their own money. Understandable. That is how most of us feel during our student years. Yet when you are in the industry, you get the taste that it's not a play ground out there. There is real work to be done and it's actually playing the game. Therefore, I bought my time to learn the game and I am going to use it to the maximum. When one goes in the industry, it's a whole new cycle of learning the ropes.
In the sea of confusion I am trying to hold tight to the steering wheel and remember my aim, mission, vision to take up MBA was to learn.

No comments: