Saturday, November 17, 2007

Forthnight Digest

Life has been a roller coaster ride the past two weeks.

1) I went to Coimbatore for diwali vacations with my roommates. We stayed at Lakshmi's place and had a great time. I got to burst crackers the first time in my life ever. I even held the sparkling rod one.. it's called phuljeri in hindi.

2) Aunt and Uncle (Lakshmi's parents) took us girls for a day to Ooty, a favourite holiday spot in south India. It's a small town built on a mountain (Hill station). I had come to Ooty last with my Mom and my extended family back in '89. I remembered Ooty as boating and lovely fruits. This time, I wondered what fun we actually got in boating a peddle boat! Man you slog so much and never realise you've moved an inch. The best experience I had was on the speed boat to Zanzibar... Awesome! Well, we had fun at Ooty and returned back at night almost midnight. The next morning we went to an Asharam famous for meditation. I really wonder if people get peace coming from Europe, USA and far off to India to meditate?! One of the guides was from Scotland. She came later on to our tiny group and asked me if I was a muslim. I proudly replied 'Yes, I am' "Are you a practising muslim?" "Oh Yes, I am" I gave a beaming smile! "Coz I come from a muslim family but I am irreligious- I don't believe in any religion" "Oh Ok" What else could I say? I warm and friendly but I felt sad for her.

3) We went in the night to watch 'Sawaariya" and I told myself in 5 min of the movie "This is going to be a big flop" and Gosh I was (plus my roommates) in shock the first half. I couldn't believe Sanjay Leela Bansali had made such an 'Artificial' movie. There was nothing one could relate to... even the songs! The only time I felt good was when Rani came on screen. I love that actress. I think she's great! As for Salman Khan, I think he was taken just to scare people with his eyes. The new Hero? He is a kid! The Heroin has a script that lasts some 10 giggles. We all were totally disappointed

4) Back to work, and this time I became a director, script writer, editor etc... not for a movie but for our documentary film on rural marketing. We had selected Gobi Chettipalayam as our location which is a semi-rural community 85 kms from Coimbatore. We got an excellent guide who would interpret the tamil language to us and I loved the place. The people were friendly and helpful and we got a good footage for our film. I saw a village for the first time in my life (or actually walked through one coz I may have driven past a few). The president of Kugalur village, Erode district, TN was so helpful and friendly and they must have given us 5 cups of tea! I don't drink tea but that day I drank every cup for it was served with so much love. While I was in Gobi, I got a premonition that my cousin would have gone in labour so I gave her a call and yep! She voice was filled with pain and she told me she was on drips in the hospital. I was praying for her safe delivery and voila! in the evening, my aunt called me and told me I had a beautiful baby niece.

5) Bangalore - and I am in love with my cutie sweetie niece. You know if she cries and I hold her.... she stops crying!!! lol, she is the most beautiful baby I have seen after my other nieces and nephews. We are going to name her tomorrow evening and I am like the Maid of honor.. In case of deliveries, this maid of honor takes care of the new mom and runs up and down with soiled nappies and chicken soup ;). My cousin looks half dead to me... to think that once my mom went through all this for me. Love you mom!

Now this amateur director of a badly edited film has a business plan to make and have a first day show...lol Gosh it's laughable. Another main lesson MBA thought me-

"You can learn anything and You can do everything"

2 comments:

Greek said...

...thanx for your preview on the movie...you just saved me 200 buckz :-) ....what did u name your cutie niece??

Blogger said...

Greek- Glad to help you. We named her Nakiya. :)