Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The 12 hour schedule is here.

There is nothing like an evening filled with rain as misty light filters through the window. You sit by the candle light and think of how lovely it feels. The rain drops, the cool air, the white sky, the dim room gently lit by a long golden flame.

Its rained after a long time and I enjoyed it tremendously. Yesterday we had Distribution Management by Prof. J.P. Tiwari. He has taught us Market Research and Consumer behavior earlier. Prof met with an accident on his bike and his right leg is fractured. My heart goes out to him to see him walking with a crutch. He is one who is always jolly and joking with the students and I simply can’t bear to see him this way. Get well soon sir!

From the class he took, I got this much: Don’t think you can do away with your distributors. We did a case study about Arvind Mills in the 1990’s when they had introduced their denim jeans ‘Rough and Tough’. It was a runaway success until one day they decide to do away with their distributors and the whole business collapsed. I will have to do more research on the company and get the details.

After Distribution Management we had Brand Management by Prof. Joy Chokraborty. She had taught us Advertising Management II trimester. We did a basic introduction about what exactly is a brand, brand equity, a brand to the user and a brand to the company. Prof. asked us to forget all the jargons and just think like a normal person out there. What do they look for? We came down to qualities like Variety, Quality, Design, Package, brand ambassador who we like so we like the product. I must say it was pretty difficult to think normally after having read and read about branding and marketing. Jargons like brand identity, brand awareness, top of the mind recall were the only words I could think of coz now I’m so used to the terms and their meanings. I think I learnt a lot from this process of: Think like a user. What are you looking for?

Finally we had Services Marketing which was again lots of fun. Prof.Raj got two of my classmates to play a role play. One as the customer and the other as the sales man of an air line. We evaluated on the kind of service he provided, his attitude, whether he achieved the given purpose of providing great service. We drew the tangibility spectrum which has a perfect product at one end like salt and a perfect service on the other like teaching. There are 7Ps n services compared to the 4Ps of Marketing. The extra ones are P=>People, P=> Physical environment and P=> for Process. I got the text of Services Marketing by Zeithaml and Bitner from the library. I think this subject is total fun. I have to write an essay on the uses of Internet or benefit of it in the service industry. I have already done my research (took me an hour) and I will sit and make the first draft.

By 7.30 pm last night I was dead. I thought I’d rest for sometime before continuing and got up at 3.00 am. I have been up since then. Getting my resume ready for the placement cell. I submitted the resume to Mr.Akash who heads the placement cell and he was pretty impressed! J Let’s see how impressed the recruiters will be when they come down. I told Mr. Akash that I can’t sell. He said, well you gotta start from there. I know but it still doesn’t change my mind. I dislike selling – the kinds were you gotta follow people and ask them if they would be interested in your product. Please spare me! We have left it at 'open for discussion' but I am still convinced. I have done it, I know I can do it but I have a choice now and I DON’T want to do it.

As for today’s class: We had Project Management which will be taken by Prof Anil. He is a project manager at Hewlett Packard, India and handles 2500 people. Cool! HP was my company so hey, I’m quite biased you can say towards any HP’ian :-). We had a fun class and he taught us through examples the difference between a project and an operation task. One is unique and uncertain while other is repetitive and certain. A project manager would need to plan and try to convert the project into an operation task, manage risk and handle people as the project goes on. We will be referring to the PMI book from Project Management Institute.

Next was International Marketing or Global Marketing. Prof. Kumar saw me in the library going over the Economic Times and gave me thumbs up sign. I simply adore him. I saw Prof. Sunil Pevekar and waved at him. It feels so good when your professors like you. Prof. Pevekar is from IIM Ahmedabad and I really value his opinion same as Prof. Kumar. IIM has a class no one can compare. In Global Marketing we talked of how the general marketing mix varies from one country to the other. We discussed how the political factor plays a major role in a developing country while on the other hand for developed countries; it’s the economic and technological factors. We took a look at 4Ps, the selling and marketing concept. As usual Prof. Kumar asked us Qs on our general knowledge and well thankfully I could answer here and there... may be I’m improving!! Hehe

Final class was Organizational Development. A brief intro to resistance to change and how we accept it in the long run and a case study to conclude that it’s the people at the end of the day who matter coz what’s the use of all the policies, procedures and what not of a company if your people do not accept it. Point. Prof. Neena Kamal will be guiding us through the sessions and we have already got our first essay on the History of OD and it’s development. We have also got to submit a paper as a team on the OD procedures implemented in a huge way on a financial company in the past ten years.

My 12 hour a day ‘Process’ begins again ;) A lot of planning, risk management and people management will have to be done. And if I don’t stop talking like this soon I think I will need the hospitality industry to provide excellent service in the field of health care to one who have been overloaded and pressured into performing to the optimum level and produce results.

Didn’t get that? Neither did I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was really cool. Enjoyed reading it. hehehe