Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Book Review: A Thousand Splendid Suns


I am struck by this book. When I first started reading it, I couldn’t stop. I left all other work aside and just read and read and read. This is the kind of book I hope to write one day. I found Khaled Hosseini’s way of expression quite similar to mine! In fact I feel as though we were supposed to be literary twins and got separated at birth. This is not to imply I write as astoundingly as him, but that I found myself sharing one common trait with him: Human Emotions.

Throughout the book, it’s all about emotions. He speaks of real people, real life, irrespective of what they wear, look like, live like, at the end of the day, they have the same feelings, the same heart as the rest of us.

The story is about two women. Their lives and how they end up together as co-wives. After the initial hurt, the shock, the acceptance, ‘this is my territory and this is yours’ and finally the friendship that develops between them.

This book further goes on and shows that feelings and emotions have no age. One can be a seven year old girl, a forty year old woman, a twenty eight year old battered wife with the same level of understanding.

The mental pictures that Khaled brings to mind are so vivid. One does not only see the scenes play in one’s mind but also become the character. In the first part of the book, while reading about Mariam, one can feel Mariam, be Mariam. When he switches to Laila, again, you become Laila. However, the kind of atmosphere created in reading about Mariam is the same while reading about Laila. A slight change could have worked because at this junction it took me a while to get into ‘This is Laila’. The tone, texture and expressions remained the same from Mariam to Laila. At the later part when the two come together, one end’s up feeling not knowing Mariam at all. She has become a stranger after twenty years.

The most touching part of the book is the friendship between Laila and Tariq. Especially when contrasted to the cruel Rasheed and how he would batter his wives. The letter to Mariam from her father is beautiful. It reminds one of the letters in ‘The Notebook’ by Nicholas Sparks. They speak of so much depth and love.

By the time I finished the book, I had gone through a mirage of emotions: sweet, tender, bitter, shocking, anger, wonder, relief and happiness. Happy because at the end, the book ended with hope. Hope for a better future for Laila, and for Afghanistan and its people.

No comments: