Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I Love Mumbai!

I returned last night from my favorite vacation spot - Mumbai. I know many of you will say "What?! Mumbai? People want to get away from Mumbai. What attracts me to Mumbai is the fast life. Agree that everyday it might get on your nerves but I don't mind. I like the trains, the road side food, the shopping and marine drive. I can spend a whole day sitting at Marine drive just watching the water and the sun come down.

This time I got the chance to go to Elephanta caves. Its an hours boat ride from the Gateway of India. There is an ancient temple of Shiva Parvati with a number of Lingas. Its got it's name from the shape of a rock that resembles an elephant. There isn't much to see unless you are interested in history, mythology and archaeology. After seeing the 4-5 caves, we went for a long track to cannon hill. It's a 15 minutes climb from where you can have a good view. There is a cute toy train that gets you from the boat jetty to the caves end. Good number of stalls filled with souvenirs and restaurants that charge Rs.5-20 more. It's best to take a picnic basket and go with a whole bunch of friends and family. Enjoy the boat ride and the trekking.

On Sunday we went to Essel world and it's pretty decent. Comparing it to Wonder la of Bangalore, Wonder la has good rides. I found Essel world's rides made for the common man and not the adventurous. It offers a good experience to those who hate heights. The facilities provided are also good. The kiosks offer reasonable food at common rates. If you are not a fan of loud music that burst your ears, get out of there by 5.00 pm before the Essel World Tonite program starts. It's nothing but brain throbbing rain dancing on speakers that made me just nauseous. I can't stand loud noise and no base for me! Essel world has speakers around the park with the radio on. A drawback for those who want some peace and quite and enjoy the parks greenery but there are some spots music free.

Shopping- I got bags and bags and bags until my friends thought I had gone mad. They were good bags that I would pick in a mall at Rs.500- Rs. 1500. I was getting them dirt cheap! Besides I am lazy to shop in Bangalore. I got enough shopping to fill two bags and I am keeping put for the next two years. (Unless of course I find something again ;) Seriously, Mumbai is the place to shop especially Nakuda Mohalla near VT station. It has amazing stuff at great rates. Then there is fashion street where you can pick up good t-shirts and pants between Rs.100-250.

I also caught the movie 'Race' at Eros theater, Church gate.
No 1. I can't understand since when do directors like Abbas Mustan need to show skin to get people to watch their movie.
No 2. It's filled with songs every other minute when one just wants the story to move on
No 3. The songs are all club songs- No variety at all
No 4. The movie has enough twists to get you to say 'Enough!'
Miss this movie, it's not worth your time.

My vacation ended Jab we met style. Taxi to the station to catch my train. I had to change trains at Dadar to go to Kurla and from there to Lokmanya Tilak to catch my Coimbatore express. Dadar was filled with a sea of people and running up and down with 40kg bags made me feel like I am in the last scene of Titanic with people running around up and down. Got into a taxi and reached just on time. What can I say 'Aaj tak meri ek bhi train miss nahi huwi hain!' :)

Finally I am here, back to home sweet home. Amazing Easter vacation in Mumbai, as enchanting/exciting as ever.

2 comments:

netbee said...

Next time you go to Mumbai...dont miss the Colaba Cauzway(if you dont knw it!)

Amazing stuff there...also Bhuleshwar...nice jwelery and cotton stuff

...if you need to find anything else let me know:P

Blogger said...

Drishya- Thanks for the tip! I will check out Colaba Cauzway next time definitely.

I wanted to go to Bhuleshwar but couldn't find the time :(

Thanks and next time I go to mumbai I will give you a buzz :)