Friday, August 24, 2007

Change Management - One of the most valuable lessons MBA has taught me


One of the most valuable lessons I have learn in my MBA is Change Management. In brief, without any stories, these are golden points one needs to remember while going through change or being the cause of change.

Change could be as simple as changing over to another toothpaste, home, city, job, work schedule or marriage!!

The phases of change

1. Initiation - The change

  • Frustration (Why is this happening?)
  • Fear/ Shock (This can't be happening!)
  • Indifference (Who cares)
  • Enthusiasm (Cool!)
  • Hopefulness (May be things will become better)

2. Disorientation - The unknown

  • Training/ discussions ( Would you mind telling me what for?)
  • Lack of trust (I don't know what he will say next)
  • Rebellion/ Sabortage (You can go by yourself, don't expect me to come)
  • Caution (Wait, hmmm, watch)
  • Uncertainity (I don't know...)
  • Blind acceptance ( Whatever he says is the Gospel)
  • Denial (This is not happening and I'm going to wake up!)

3. Reorientation - The adjustment

  • Unskilled (I don't know how to do it)
  • In control (Ok, we can do this and then this and than that and this and that and this and...)
4. Integration - The new 'Norm'
  • Accepting the change ( Alright)
  • Ready to change (' I do' ..lol)
HOW YOU HANDLE THE CHANGE (Especially if you are the change maker)
  • Stay patient
  • Stay positive
  • Believe
  • Stay open to ideas
  • Look for answers
  • Ask...&...verify
  • Avoid assumption

No comments: