Wednesday, August 22, 2007

What kind of stress is this?

We had a presentation on stress management. we exceeded our limit by 100% and according to my friends, had ended up presenting a whole PhD thesis on stress, different kinds, symptoms, solutions etc.
It get's me thinking that what kind of stress am I in? It's definitely not acute or chronic. May be distress or hypo stress - where I am underchallenged and bored. Not that I have any reason not to be challenged. I have plenty but it's the initiative to take up the challenge. Someone must do a research on that! Knowing you have the skills and ability to do a task, yet you have no initiative!!
Careless, irresponsible, lazy is the only 'unprogressive' words that come to my mind when we think of how everything today has been given fancy funda's and major theories. Theory of laughter (It's now no longer so easy to laugh. you need to study how to do that). I read a caption earlier "Science has progressed far. What was once an itch and now an allergy!" Same to management my dear, same to management.
At times I feel, sitting in a class, learning how to plan, learning how to sell, learning how to handle people is really just the icing on the cake. No one buys a cake for it's icing. It's the cake, the substance beneath that holds the show. The icing is used to just attract - Hey, look at me, I'm the best, delicious cake you can have.
However, at the end of the day, you get the work done (forget effective and efficient!! -uhhh those words are like monsters for MBA students) and you're wanted. You don't meet the target, you can't handle your boss or the office politics, you can't handle your emotions (Stress!), off you go maam, out of the door.
Next time anyone of you meet some MBA, feel pity for him. His common sense has just been reprogrammed into theories and principles. God help his soul.

No comments: