Friday, September 07, 2007

I want to be - Forest Gump

I don't remember when I watched 'Forest Gump' first time. May be a few years back. I was so touched by the movie and the character 'Forest Gump' and how well Tom Hanks had played the role. Well, in the routine course of the day, the movie was soon forgotten until now.

Namrata has a few collection of movies and one of them is 'Forest Gump'. As an ice breaker from studies, I decided to treat myself (I completed one subject! :) ). I watched the movie and wow, what a wonderful film, what a wonderful story.

I like Forest Gump because he is such a simple guy. Everything is just 'I'm Forest, Forest Gump", Mama, and Jenny. I wish I could think like Forest. - He doesn't think. He takes life as it comes, doesn't complicate things, is loyal, loves one from his heart and keeps loving them irrespective of what they do. It didn't matter to him that Jenny didn't stay back with him or that he kept loosing her to her gypsy ways. At the end, his love returns to him.

Forest on his part is so open, child like and lovable. Jenny on the other hand is messed up and her intentions are questionable. E.g., why does she come to Alabama? because she had no where to go - probably wanted to take-it-easy from her night and brawl life. She gives birth to Forest's child but never let's him know. It's only when she finds out she is 'sick with some virus' does she call him. I find her weak, stupid and selfish.

But she looks beautiful to us - why? because we see her through Forest's eyes. The magic of love? From Forest's view, he got his Jenny, after all those years of waiting and he got a lovely child. Patience pays its way. It's almost heartbreaking when she says 'I love you' as she lies in bed, sick.

Watching the movie makes me wish for so many things -

I wish I were like Forest Gump. I wish I had a thinking system just like him. I wish I could be as loyal a friend as him, I wish I could love with his kind of purity, through years and through all partings.

2 comments:

Huzefa Mukadam said...

My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Blogger said...

Stupid is as stupid does :)