Saturday, September 15, 2007

Operation: Marriage

I am helping a friend of mine get the girl he wants to marry :) and it's fun! I think I should become a marriage counsellor. I mean men can be stuck at the simplest question as to 'Why do you want to marry me?' lol, God help him after marriage.

I sincerely pray she accepts his proposal. It's endearing to see someone so sincere, who wants to marry in order to fulfil his religious commitments and has selected a life partner for her inherent qualities.

It's got me thinking that may be I should start thinking about it too. Not that I have never thought. Even if I don't, I have a truck load of relatives to remind me. I'm Alhamdullilah, content with my life, my studies and my family and friends. Its when I see a little child walking towards his mother that I feel "Awwww" I think children are the tempting carrots for marriage.

I remember I once had a conversation with a friend. I had told her that in a relationship, everything seems magical when you are getting to know each other, you talk about your past lives- right from your childhood to what you aim to achieve in life. And then what? There is nothing more to say and all that excitement will be gone. She told me something that I would never forget: "That is why you should have children. Then each day will be exciting. You will never know what they will do". This was one of the 'wow' moments of my life when I realised something, I had never realised.

I have nothing against marriage. It must be one of the most beautiful relationships one can have. The thought that someone is going to be there for you, for the rest of your life is surely comforting. It's when I see someone getting married, I marvel at their courage. The first thought that comes to my mind is 'Wow, she got the courage to marry!" I actually admire the *courage* a person has to marry. The courage to give someone authority over you, to love you, to hurt you, to accept the responsibilities that come along, the dynamics of juggling home, work, in-laws, friends and your partner! they must be super men and women. My hats off to them.

As for me, let me fly, high and far till I decide, it's time to stop, to find a mate and build a nest.

2 comments:

Huzefa Mukadam said...

Yours is a new insight into this topic. Marrying for having children! I haven't heard of that reason before.

Weirdly, the first thought that comes to my mind when I see friends getting married is "they have grown old enough to marry (while i still feel like an awkward 14 year old)"

Blogger said...

Huzefa - One of the reasons marriage is encouraged is to have children. Through your children, you are actually giving birth to a new life, bringing them up, teaching them islamic values and making them good muslim, mumiin.

When one dies, his book is closed apart from three things: two of which I remember at the moment are-

a) Recurring charity e.g education he has left behind, a well, a tree he has planted and people take shade in it

b) A pious child who prays for his parents

Your child is the biggest investment you could make in this world and for the hereafter.

Thus my conclusion, that the most beautiful thing out of marriage.. is your child(ren) :)