Sunday, September 02, 2007

Book Review: The Kite Runner


I got a hold of this book on the streets of Chennai. I had gone to Landmark and Book Paradise but the Rs. 350 price tag was causing a huge dent on my monthly allowance so I thought.. later, later, even though I was dying to read Khaled Hosseini's first novel. Having read his amazing book 'A thousand splendid suns' Lucky for me I got one off the streets and what do I say? I am as usual left shocked, dazed and tearful.

The Kite Runner is the story about Aamir, his story about his childhood in Kabul where his family was his father 'Baba', his servant Ali and Ali's son Hassan who is a year younger than Aamir. Aamir and Hassan grow up together and their childhood is an idealistic one, spent on tree branches, kite flying and story telling. Until, that one incident that shakes up their relationship.

Aamir feels guilty of not having the courage to stand up for his friend cum servant. A timid boy, a huge contrast from him powerful strong father, he resorts to ending his contact with Hassan. Years later, after he leaves for USA to flee from the war in Afghanistan, he is called back. To be good- by rescuing Hassan's son.

Aamir's character come's up as a weak and normal person who can sail in calm waters but when the storm seeps in, he bolts. He is gifted with a talent of story-telling and eventually becomes an author. The novel is like Aamir's personal journal or autobiography and at the end, one is amazed to know that 'Weakness' can become a crime in itself. Aamir has not hurt a soul but the failure to stand up for his friend makes him insomic and he is left with a feeling of cowardice. A terrible feeling to live with.

Hassan on the other hand is the adorable, perfect little boy and gentleman. A man born in a million. He's devotion to Aamir, his faith in God, his love towards his family - wife and child makes you love him and mourn for what happened to him.

Baba comes across as one of the strong men- set in tradition, of honor and courage. A go getter who makes life, gives lives, and questions about the existence of God. He follows the customs of the islamic world, yet does not believe in them. His drinking, and his abominable sin which is the surprise twist in the plot makes one wonder, how could a man do that. How could he keep his one son as a prince, his heir and his other as his servant. The son of a man he himself grew up with and grew to love. It's shocking and disturbs one greatly.

These three characteristics stand out in my mind when I think of 'The Kite Runner'. Among all, Hassan is the character I relate to. He is to me the perfect man who I write of, sincere and dedicated and loyal till the end. He is the best part of 'The kite runner'

At the end of the story we see Aamir struggling to win the affection and trust of Shorab, Hassan's son. Just as Hassan had done for Aamir's. Ironically, the tables have turned and Hassan's words for Aamir 'For you, a thousand times over' were the same words spoken by Aamir for Shorab.

Beautiful, tragic, heartbreaking.

2 comments:

Huzefa Mukadam said...

Hi Alefyah! I was in a similar situation last year when I wanted to read kiterunner but could not afford to buy a copy. I ended up reading non stop though when I started reading it.

I cried while reading the novel and remembering the old times. But I still think that the author dramatized too much and fell for a cliched ending. That is one reason why I have avoided thousand splendid suns till now

Blogger said...

Huzefa - I agree with you! The novel was great till the last and the whole part of Aamir flying the kite and running for it just for the little smile Shorab gave... eh hem, kind of broke the good flow.

However I strongly recommend 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' Khaled has bettered himself and thankfully no cliched ending :)

Do read and let me know how you find it.