Thursday, September 06, 2007

'No Sir, Thank you but not now'

Dexler Information Systems is a growing SAP consulting and training firm. It has grown exponentially for the past five years. Currently it has 100 employees and is looking forward to recruiting 400 more. Their sales is handled by two people only and thus the need for MBA students from a good enough school to help them expand their corporate sales. The reason why they have only two people handling their sales is because business has always come their way. However, they realise that since they want to grow larger, bigger, they have to venture out in the market and find corporates, business interested in their products. In other words, make them interested.

The current and immediate requirement is for around four candidates. We were sixteen and after the pre placement talk, he gave us the choice to decide if we wanted to move further. My friend, Dev in the middle of the PPT( Pre-Placement-Talk) said 'Let's go'. He is interested in core finance. I was thinking

'1. Sales- targets, traffic, unknown people, lots of smiling, a lot of buttering and sleepless nights thinking about 'targets'.

2. Small company - good growth potential. Good learning not only sales but also about SAP through the consultants. Decent pay. Can shift laterally after a year or two in sales.'

Sales - O.K., why not. It'd be fun.
Small company - Nice. Cozy. Lots of learning.

Catch: "We need immediate joinees." Talked to the guy who gave the PPT and asked him if I had a choice to join after 5th term. He said if they would still want people, they'll come to the college else for now, it's immediate.

That pretty much decided it for me. On the way back, Dev and I made a decision to apply to companies only at the end of 5th term. But you know to see a cake and not want to eat it! When we reached college, we talked to one of our friends in the placement cell, he said "There a few very good companies coming so don't miss out on those." I could feel my friend wavering from his stand.

Anyways I am pretty sure I want to join only after 5th term. I'd like to complete my thesis in 6th term. Have three months of research work and paper writing. May be go on field. However, as per the situation, it might be stretching it too far. So well 5th is the least I'm willing to bend to.

No to any companies till then.

No comments: